3D teaches you how shapes work in the world around you. When drawing in 2D, it’s not always easy to imagine the final shape of an object in three dimensions, because some shapes and design features are very difficult to imagine or represent and tweak in 2D. For this reason, knowing how to create in 3D gives you the ability to greatly increase your creative vocabulary. Learning 3D skills will open further career paths and give more flexibility to both employed and freelance creative designers.
The study of 3D Design is integral to all our vibrant and exciting Art and Design courses. Initially, you will acquire a broad art and design skill base, developing briefs and ideas via photography, fashion and textiles, 3D, fine art and graphics, trying new techniques and approaches to widen your creative perspective and thoroughly prepare you for your chosen specialist field of 3D Design.
You will have access to a fully equipped 3D design workshop, silver-smithing workshop, 3D printing and laser cutting facility, CAD software.
To enhance your studies, you will have access to fantastic, industry-standard facilities such as a Commercial Graphics Studio and Photography Studio equipped with IMac computers, 3D Modelling and & Animation Suite with Adobe Creative Cloud, Fashion, Textiles Studios as well as individual fine art spaces.
Artists and practitioners come to College to talk about their work and experience. We work with galleries, universities and businesses to ensure you have the opportunity to showcase your work. Our annual End of Year Show gives you the opportunity to display your best work in a professional environment.
- Level 3 – 5 GCSEs 9-4 or Art & Design Level 2 (Merit/Distinction) including English or maths GCSEs 9-4 and Art/Design Technology GCSE 9-5 and Portfolio of Art & Design work
- Level 2 – 4 GCSEs 9-3 including Art/Design Technology or Art & Design Level 1 including English & Maths GCSEs 9-2 and Portfolio of Art & Design work
- Level 1 – 4 GCSEs 9-1 including English & maths and Portfolio of Art & Design work
What you will study
- Introduction to Materials, Processes & Skills
- Introduction to Contextual Research
- Introduction to Communication Skills
- Solving 2D Creative Problems
- Solving 3D Creative Problems
- Solving Time-based Creative Problems
- Art, Design & Media (Final Major Project)
Introduction to Materials, Processes & Technical Skills
Introduction to Contextual Research
Introduction to Drawing Skills
Introduction to Communication Skills
Solving 2D Creative Problems
Solving 3D Creative Problems
Solving Time-based Creative Problems
Developing a Personal Project (Final Major Project)
The Creative Process
Developing Creative Practice
Responding to a Set Brief
Contemporary Crafts & Jewellery
Researching a Specialist Industry Practice
Specialist Technical Skills Development
Specialist Creative Outcome
- Art & Design Foundation Diploma (Level 3/4)
- 3D Design BA (Hons)
- Creative Industries BA (Hons)
- 3D Designer
- CAD Technician