The broad purpose of the occupation is to install, maintain and repair electrical systems in industrial, commercial and residential environments including communal areas.
The scope of an Electrician’s work encompasses using engineering knowledge and understanding to apply technical and practical skills. They contribute to the design, development, construction, commissioning, operation and maintenance of products, equipment, processes, of electric systems or services. Electrical equipment and systems may include switchboards, motors, cables, fuses, thermal relays, protective devices, heating, lighting, air conditioning and metering equipment as well as property and life safety installations and renewable energy technologies plus the installation and maintenance of electrical connections of new and emerging technologies supporting low carbon targets. The new technologies will include enhanced connectivity, green and renewable technologies including heating and cooling technologies, using where appropriate, Modern Methods of Construction including offsite and prefabricated components.
What you will study
- Health and safety legislation and safe working practices
- Fault diagnosis and rectification of electrical installations
- Building Regulations; industry guidance notes; relevant codes of practice, the requirements of the current edition of the Wiring Regulations (BS7671)
- Mathematical and scientific techniques, formulae, and calculations that underpin an electrician’s work in industrial, commercial, and residential environments
- Design, plan, set up, and install electrical and related electronic systems including terminating and connecting cables in electrical wiring systems, installations, and equipment in commercial, industrial, and residential installations
- Apply diagnostic and problem-solving techniques to identify, assess, and resolve electrical faults in industrial, commercial, and residential environments
- Inspect and test new and where applicable existing electrical Installations in industrial, commercial, and residential environments using test equipment
- Acts responsibly, ethically and contributes to safe outcomes
- Embraces a sustainable working culture
- Focuses on the requirements of the customer
- Committed to keeping up to date with industry best practice
- Installation Electrician
- Maintenance Electrician