This Childcare qualification is a true career starter. It is recognised in industry so if you want to go straight into a career, you can do so from Level 2 as you will leave qualified to work in the sector as a Nursery Assistant.
Childcare has been taught at Craven College for over 25 years by highly qualified Childcare Practitioners with backgrounds in day nurseries, playgroups, hospitals, schools, special needs schools, child-minding and neonatal intensive care. You can study Childcare as a full-time course or as an Apprenticeship.
Work experience is essential for Childcare courses. At Craven College, we provide those placements for you. Annually we source over 150 placements in places such as Clitheroe, Shipley, Leeds, Bradford and Skipton due to our experienced tutors and their extensive industry links.
Childcare students need to have a warm, caring and patient nature, good communication skills, the ability to work with young children and their families in a sensitive and positive way, have creative ideas for activities and an interest in child development. These characteristics will be built on throughout the course.
Our Level 1 qualification allows you to study both Health & Social Care and Early Years & Childcare sectors, enabling you to decide which professional industry you prefer before progressing onto the Level 2 qualification.
The Level 2 qualification provides a solid foundation for you to progress onto a Level 3 qualification across several sectors including Early Years Education, Supporting Teaching & Learning and Children & Young People.
There are lots of career choices in the Childcare industry. Many of our past students have gone on to become Teaching Assistants, Nannies, Childminders, Play Leaders, Children’s Reps (overseas) and many have achieved management roles.
- Level 2 – 4 GCSEs grade 9-3 or equivalent including English & maths GCSEs grade 9-3 plus clear Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service check
- Level 1 – 4 GCSEs grade 9-1 including English & maths
What you will study
- Health & Safety
- Young People’s Development
- Factors Affecting Older People
- Mental Health
- Development Through Play
- Physical Care of Babies & Young Children
- Autism Spectrum Condition
- Learning Disabilities
- Child Development from Birth to 11 years 11 months
- Play & Learning
- Exploring Legislation
- The Role of the Childcare Practitioner
- Physical Development & Physical Activity
- Education & Childcare – Early Years Educator T Level
- Nursery supervisor
- Classroom Assistant
- Teacher Training (primary)
- Care worker
- Community worker
- Youth support assistant