This Childcare qualification is a true career starter. It is recognised in industry so if you want to go straight into a career, you can do so from Level 2 as you will leave qualified to work in the sector as a Nursery Assistant, whilst at Level 3 you will leave qualified to work in the sector with a licence to practice and have UCAS points to go to university.
Childcare has been taught at Craven College for over 25 years by highly qualified Childcare Practitioners with backgrounds in day nurseries, playgroups, hospitals, schools, special needs schools, child-minding and neonatal intensive care. You can study Childcare as a full-time course or as an Apprenticeship.
Work experience is essential for Childcare courses. At Craven College, we provide those placements for you. Annually we source over 150 placements in places such as Clitheroe, Shipley, Leeds, Bradford and Skipton due to our experienced tutors and their extensive industry links.
Childcare students need to have a warm, caring and patient nature, good communication skills, the ability to work with young children and their families in a sensitive and positive way, have creative ideas for activities and an interest in child development. These characteristics will be built on throughout the course.
Our Level 1 qualification allows you to study both Health & Social Care and Early Years & Childcare sectors, enabling you to decide which professional industry you prefer before progressing onto the Level 2 qualification.
The Level 2 qualification provides a solid foundation for you to progress onto a Level 3 qualification across several sectors including Early Years Education, Supporting Teaching & Learning and Children & Young People, and also includes transferable skills and knowledge for the Health & Social Care sector. You will learn about a variety of topics connected to the industry such as childhood studies, play and creativity, children’s mental health, safeguarding and learn how to implement these topics into a working environment.
There are lots of career choices in the Childcare industry. Many of our past students have gone on to become Teaching Assistants, Nannies, Childminders, Play Leaders, Children’s Reps (overseas) and many have achieved management roles.
- Level 3 – 5 GCSEs grade 9-4 or Children’s Play Learning & Development Level 2 (Merit/Distinction) including English or maths & science GCSEs grades 9-4. Clear Enhanced (DBS) Disclosure & Barring Service check
- Level 2 – 4 GCSEs grade 9-3 or Working in the Care Sector Level 1 including English & maths GCSEs grade 9-2. Clear Enhanced (DBS) Disclosure & Barring Service check
- Level 1 – 4 GCSEs grade 9-1 including English & maths
What you will study
- Service Provision
- Principles & Values
- Health & Safety
- Young People’s Development
- Factors Affecting Older People
- Mental Health
- Development Through Play
- Physical Care of Babies & Young Children
- Child Development from Birth to 11 years 11 months
- Play and Learning
- Exploring Legislation
- The Role of the Childcare Practitioner
- Physical Development and Physical Activity
- Professional Practice
- Maintaining Safe Environments for Children
- Working with Children who have Additional Needs
- Child Health
- Play & Learning
- Reflective Practice
- International Perspectives
- Supporting Emergent Literacy
- Supporting Emergent Numeracy
- Young Children’s Learning & Development FD
- Early Years Teacher
- Early Years Practitioner
- Nursery Assistant
- Room Leader