Carpentry and Joinery involves carrying out skilled work, primarily using timber products, either on a construction site or in a workshop, creating and installing building components.
This is a core and options Apprenticeship, with two pathways:
As a Site Carpenter Apprentice, you will normally work on a building site, or in domestic and commercial premises, preparing and fixing building components, from the initial erection of a new building, through to the installation of all necessary fixtures and fittings, as well as a range of repair and maintenance activities.
As an Architectural Joiner Apprentice, you will normally be employed in a workshop producing timber-based building components and other architectural products, such as doors, windows, units and staircases, which are then transported to construction sites to be installed by site carpenters.
As part of the Apprenticeship, you will have monthly workplace visits from a Learning Development Advisor, with 6 hours per week off the job training which will be tracked. You will build a portfolio showing your work-based evidence.
- There are no formal entry requirements for this apprenticeship, but you may be required to do an Initial Assessment to ascertain your suitability for the course
- If you do not hold a qualification in English & maths at Level 1, you will be required to pass Functional Skills in these subjects and work towards Level 2 prior to the completion of the apprenticeship
- No other specific qualifications are required as full training will be given
- Employment in the industry
What you will study
- Safe use of Hand tools
- Power tools and equipment
- Estimate resource quantities
- Principles of environment
- Health & safety and welfare
- Understand responsibilities under current legislation
- Plan and undertake work practices productively
- Safe use, storage and maintenance of tools and equipment
- Interpret information from drawings and specifications
- Demonstrate a range of fundamental skills including measuring, marking out, fitting, cutting, splicing, mitring, scribing, horizontal and vertical levelling (including laser levelling)
- Finishing, positioning and securing
- Effective Communication
- Effective Team Working
- Logical Thinking
- Working Effectively
- Site Carpenter
- Architectural Joiner
- Cabinet Maker
- Bench Joiner
- Project Manager