If you are looking to pursue a career in aviation; you are already employed in the industry, or you have a specific interest in studying independently for a Private Pilot’s Licence (PPL), this course will give you a valuable insight into key aspects of the mandatory knowledge required for a career as a pilot or in-ground operations management.
The Foundation Degree in Aviation Management & Operations (with Pilot Studies) has been developed to provide operational knowledge and understanding for those wishing to embark on a career as a pilot or in-ground operations management. So, if you are looking to pursue a career in aviation; you are already employed in the industry, or you have a specific interest in studying independently for a Private Pilot’s Licence (PPL), this course will give you valuable insight into key aspects of the mandatory knowledge required. For those who do choose to study independently for their PPL alongside their Foundation Degree, teaching staff are able to advise about companies who offer the PPL. However, to qualify as a PPL holder, a Class 2 medical certificate issued by a CAA Authorised Medical Examiner (AME) is also required.
You can benefit from our connections to local flying schools and our specific aviation skills-based academies and courses, which provide you with technical skills, knowledge and attitude which enable you to progress into the Aviation industry. Your studies are supported throughout by our partnership with Jet2.com and Jet2holidays and other key organisations including Leeds Bradford Airport.
The course also includes Work-Related Learning modules that introduce realistic workplace scenarios and case studies. You will be encouraged to secure placement/s or part-time work with airlines, airports, or ground handling agents to help provide operational context to your classroom-based studies.
You will be taught through a combination of lectures, guest speakers, visits and seminar sessions, which will be supported through group discussion and activities. Alongside course contact hours, you will be expected to undertake 10-12 hours of independent study each week, such as reading journal articles and books, undertaking research from academic and technical texts and preparing for assessments, presentations or examinations. Your independent study is supported by the excellent Moodle, an online electronic resource platform managed by your module tutors, alongside the Learning Hubs at the Aviation Academy and Aireville Campus and the College’s Specialist Support Centre. The average class size for this course is 15-20.
You will receive feedback on your formal assessments within four working weeks of the submission date. You must receive a pass mark of 40 or above in all modules to achieve the Foundation Degree. Your overall grade for the course and your Foundation Degree classification is based on the marks obtained for all modules. More information can be found here: Student Information > Regulations
- 48 UCAS tariff points (formerly 120 UCAS points)
- English & Maths GCSEs grade 9-4 (A*-C) or equivalent
- Clear Disclosure Scotland check
- Students without necessary qualifications but with relevant work experience are encouraged to apply for an interview.
In addition, if you have a relevant HNC you may be able to transfer credit in certain modules onto the Foundation Degree.
What you will study
- Development of the Air Transport System (20 credits – Report & Presentation)
- Personal & Professional Development (20 credits – Presentation & Research Project)
- Managing Customer Service in an Aviation Environment (20 credits – Presentation & Case Study)
- Airline Operations (20 credits – Report x 2)
- Health, Safety & Security in Air Transport (20 credits – Audit Report & Presentation)
- Airport Operations (20 credits – Report & Presentation)
- Principles of Leadership & Management (20 credits – Presentation inc. Academic poster)
- Decision Making in Air Transport Management (20 credits – Report)
- Business Development & Marketing (20 credits – Exam)
- Human Resource Management in the Workplace (20 credits – Presentation & Case study)
- Human Performance & Limitations (20 credits – Multiple Choice Exam & Case Study Report)
- Navigation (20 credits – Multiple Choice Exam & Flight Plan & Rationale)
- Air Transport Management BSc (Hons) Top-up (Craven College option)
- Business Management in the Service Sector BA (Hons) Top-up (Craven College option)
- Aviation Engineer
- Aircraft Operator
- Air Traffic Control
- Airline Route Planner
- Air/Ground Transportation Manager