This is an industry recognised course which is perfect if you want to be a make-up artist for film, theatre, television, a prosthetics/special effects make-up artist, or a fashion or editorial make-up artist.
We emphasise diversity and inclusion within the design while debating beauty ideals, gender politics and the changing face of identity.
We have a fully equipped Theatrical and Media Make-up Studio, and Prosthetics Workshop and access to a comprehensive Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). You will be taught by a team with strong reputations as practising artists as well as visiting lecturers and a dynamic programme of industry speakers.
Whilst completing industry style assignments, you will have the opportunity to use the latest innovative products and techniques from the sector. You will also work closely with Photography, Media, Fashion and Performing Arts in College on project-based assignment opportunities which will broaden your horizons and allow you to tap into even more resources to help you build a professional portfolio.
You will explore the many contexts of media make-up and hair design within the creative industries. You will be encouraged to take an experimental approach to application, materials, and creative development processes to produce innovative and contemporary design work. This includes make-up and hairstyling for fashion editorial, wig work for theatre, TV, and creative design contexts for editorial and the catwalk.
To enable you to operate across different platforms, you will also be trained in photographic skills and digital publishing, Health & Safety and Employability Skills.
- Level 3 – 5 GCSEs grade 9-4 or equivalent including English & maths GCSEs grade 9-4 plus portfolio of Art & Design work
What you will study
- The Creative Process
- Developing Creative Practice
- Responding to a set brief
- Researching a Specialist Industry Practice
- Specialist Technical Skills Development
- Specialist Creative Outcome
- On completion of a Level 3 qualification, you will be able to progress onto a degree-level qualification or a higher-level apprenticeship
- Make-up Artist Film/Theatre/TV
- Prosthetics / Special effects Make-up Artist
- Wigs & Hairpieces Specialist