Want to work outdoors as a Ranger, Wildlife Conservation Officer, Woodland Manager, Gamekeeper or Agricultural Contractor? This course will allow you to develop the specific technical and professional skills that you will need to start your career in the land and wildlife industry or progress to University.
Based on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, our rural College campus will give you access to sheep, dairy and arable farms, estates, national parks and leisure facilities through our extensive and well-established employer links.
Our excellent facilities include animal care units, equine yards, horticulture greenhouses, ATV’s, drystone walling centre and machinery workshops.
You will explore a wide range of industry areas including countryside management, environmental conservation, game and fisheries.
Our expert tutors have specialist knowledge of agricultural botany, ecology and garden design alongside experience of working with the National Trust, the Yorkshire Dales National Park, Skipton in Bloom and Harrogate Flower Show. With their knowledge and contacts, you will be able to visit relevant exhibitions and demonstration grounds as well as gaining inspiration from guest speakers from a variety of agriculture, countryside and environmental sectors.
In addition to work placements, your programme of study may include additional qualifications such as Brushwood Cutter Usage, Dry Stone Walling and ATV Handling. All our Level 3 students have the opportunity to gain additional qualifications in Pesticide Application and Chainsaw.
If you are aged between 19-24 and currently do not have a Level 2 or Level 3 qualification, you could receive funding for this course. Speak to our Admissions team for further details when making your application.
- Level 3 – 5 GCSEs 9-4 or Land & Wildlife Level 2 (Merit/Distinction) including English or maths & science GCSEs 9-4
- Level 2 – 4 GCSEs 9-3 or Level 1 Diploma including English & maths GCSEs 9-2
- Level 1 – 3 GCSEs 9-1 including English & maths
What you will study
- Assist with the Use of the Transport & Maintenance of Tools & Equipment
- Safe & Effective Working Practices in Land-based Industries
- Carry out Tractor Operations
- Assist with the Establishment of Plants & Sites in the Countryside
- Assist with Maintaining the Health & Wellbeing of Animals
- Introduction to Production Livestock & Breeds
- Assist with the Maintenance of Structures & Surfaces in the Countryside
- Contribute to the Establishment of Plants
- Contribute to the Maintenance of Plants
- Contribute to the Propagation of Plants
- Employability – Preparing to Work in the Land-based Industries
- Principles of Health& Safety
- Working in the Land & Wildlife Industry
- Machinery used in the Land & Wildlife Industry
- Conservation & Improvements to British Habitats
- Estate Maintenance
- Species Identification & Surveying
- Environmental Conservation of Flora & Fauna
- Land & Countryside Use
- Principles of Health & Safety
- Work-related Experience
- Land-based Industries Machinery Operations
- Population Surveys, Ecology & Conservation
- Countryside Recreation
- Undertake Estate Skills
- Farm Habitat Management
- Heathland Habitat Management
- Working Dogs
- Undertake a Specialist Project in the Land-based Sector
- Urban Habitat Conservation
- Aquatics Welfare & Breed Development
- Principles of Physical & Biological Environmental Processes
- Woodland Habitat Management
- Ecological Concepts & Application
- Environmental Interpretation in the Land-based Sector
- Fresh Water & Wetland Management
- Principles of Tree Felling and Chainsaw Use
- Plant & Soil Science
- Conservation & Countryside Management FD
- Garden Design FD
- Conservation Woodland/Wildlife Officer
- Forestry Officer
- Countryside Ranger/Officer
- Farm Contractor