The Barbershop work environment is always client facing, can be varied in size, style and ambiance, from a small micro barbershop, to franchises or large high street premises.
A professional barber will be able to tailor their skills to client requirements, whilst providing an outstanding service. They will be able to shampoo and condition hair, cut hair using a range of barbering techniques, style, and finish hair to create a variety of looks, cut facial hair into shape, and provide shaving services. Barbers must be able to work with all hair types, characteristics, and classifications. They also need to be able to carry out consultations with clients and demonstrate professionalism, values, behaviours, communication skills, and retail skills alongside safe working practices associated with their role. They must be able to work without supervision to a high level of precision, with exceptional client care skills.
- While there are no formal entry requirements for this apprenticeship, you may be required to do an Initial Assessment to ascertain your suitability for the course
- If you do not hold a qualification in maths & English at Level 1, you will be required to pass Functional Skills in these subjects and work towards Level 2 prior to the completion of the apprenticeship.
- No other specific qualifications are required as full training will be given.
- Employment in the industry
What you will study
- Products, tools and equipment used in barbering services
- How to complete client consultation and record relevant information relating to hair, skin and scalp analysis, hair and skin classification type, characteristics tests
- Barbering science for hair and skin
- The science behind shampoo, tonics, and conditioning products
- The cutting methodology, techniques, tools and equipment required to create a range of barbering looks
- The techniques and methodology behind preparing for and carrying out different shaving services
- The techniques and methodology behind drying, styling and finishing hair
- Carry out front-of-house duties to support the barbershop business
- Carry out a consultation, examine and analyse the hair, skin and scalp
- Prepare the hair for barbering services
- Cut hair using a range of barbering cutting techniques
- Restyle hair by changing the length, bulk or shape
- Style and finish hair
- Design, create and maintain a variety of facial hair shapes and looks
- Provide shaving and facial massage services safely
- Demonstrates good verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates professionalism and a passion for the industry
- Facilitates safe working practices
- Maintains professional ethics: integrity, respect, empathy, client confidence, confidentiality and discretion
How you will study...
- Monthly workplace visits from a Learning Development Advisor
- College attendance 1 day per week during term time
- 6 hrs per week ‘off the job training’ tracked
- Portfolio building – work-based evidence
- Mens barber/hairstylist
- Salon owner