Join the growing UK cyber workforce (160% growth in the last 5 years) or lay the foundations to a career as a Computer Engineer, Network Manager, Games Developer, Web Developer, Control Systems Technician or Electronics Technician and many more careers.
As part of the Yorkshire and Humber Institute of Technology, Craven College students have the privilege of enjoying some of the £10m for investment in industry-standard equipment in the region. We are working closely with local employers to ensure that you learn the skills that they require to ensure that you leave College ready for Degree level study, Apprenticeship or to start your career straight away.
All our IT and computing courses, both full-time and Apprenticeships, have access to our new IT Suites and technology furnished with Cisco networking equipment to ensure you have the very latest in industry knowledge. IT Studios, Hardware Lab and Computer Science Lab with dedicated access to high-specification PCs and Raspberry Pi computers are also at your disposal.
Our tutors enhance your learning with their expert knowledge in Electronics, Data and Software, Coding, Web Design, Games Design, Programming, Database Design, App Design and Control Systems Engineering.
Whether your interests lie in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, you will learn in a practical way and you will be exposed to industry-standard practices in areas such as Data Modelling, Programming, Cyber Security, Hardware Maintenance and Designing Control Systems.
New for September 2023 – We will be offering the Digital Production, Design & Development T Level for Level 3. See the modules below for further info.
- Level 3 – 5 GCSEs grade 9-5 including English and maths and Interview
- Level 2 – 4 GCSEs grade 9-3 or Computing Level 1 including English & maths
- Level 1 – 4 GCSEs grade 9-1 including English & maths
What you will study
- Creating a Digital Animated Graphic
- Creating a Spreadsheet
- Creating a Website
- Being Organised
- Developing a Personal Progression Plan
- Communication in the IT Industry
- Developing Computer Games
- Presenting information using IT
- Working in the IT Industry
- Computer Graphics
- Spreadsheet Modelling
- Website Development
- Business Contexts – from infrastructure design to managing change
- Digital Culture – covering ethical/moral issues
- Data Analysis – with data capture, collection, visualisation and modelling
- Digital Analysis – understanding algorithms, abstraction, pattern recognition and decomposition
- Digital Environments – covering system fundamentals for physical, virtual and cloud computing
- Diversity and Inclusion – understanding and valuing differences, sensitivities and equality
- Digital Learning – covering emerging technologies, internet of things (IoT), artificial intelligence (AI), augmented reality (AR), computer graphics (3D)
- Digital Legislation and Security – from data protection and intellectual property to security and data sharing
- Planning and Programming/Software Development – building project plans, integrating software development lifecycle (SDLC), critical paths, application and solution development
- Testing and Tools – covering testing methods/types, industry-based digital tools and usability/user experience (UX) user interface(UI) testing
In addition to the above content, each student will also develop skills in digital production, design and development.
- Cyber Security & Computer Systems Level 4 (inc Computing HNC)
- Computing HNC
- Software Developer
- IT Technician
- Network Manager
- Electronics Technician
- Computer Engineer
- Games Developer
- Web Developer