A Commis Chef is the most common starting position in many kitchens and is usually the most junior culinary role.
As a Commis Chef, you will prepare food and carry out basic cooking tasks under the supervision of a more senior chef. Your primary objective will be to learn and understand how to carry out the basic functions in every section of the kitchen. This gives you the opportunity to experience, consider and value each section with a view to choosing an area where you feel most inspired. The learning journey of any chef will vary considerably from one individual to the next, however, in order to progress to a senior chef role, you need to learn the basics and gain experience, both of which you will achieve with this Apprenticeship.
While there are no formal entry requirements for this apprenticeship, you may be required to do an Initial Assessment to ascertain your suitability for the course.If you do not hold a qualification in Maths & English at Level 1, you will be required to pass Functional Skills in these subjects and work towards level 2 prior to the completion of the apprenticeship
No other specific qualifications are required as full training will be given
- Employment in the industry
What you will study
- Preparation & Cooking Methods of Meat, Poultry, Fish & Vegetables etc.
- Commonly used Knives and Kitchen equipment
- Health & Safety
- Methods for Soups, Sauces, Baking & Breadmaking
- Prepare, Cook and Finish Food Items
- Effectively Manage Resouces
- Follow Safe Systems of Work
- Contribute to Reviewing and Refreshing Menus
- Shows Accuracy and Attention to Detail
- Has Food Safety Approach at all times
- Leads by Example
- Sous Chef
- Pastry Chef
- Chef de Partie
- Head Chef
- Development Chef