A Commis Chef is the most common starting position in many kitchens and usually the most junior culinary role.
City & Guilds
As a Commis Chef, you will prepare food and carry out basic cooking tasks under the supervision of a more senior chef. Your primary objective will be to learn and understand how to carry out the basic functions in every section of the kitchen. This gives you the opportunity to experience, consider and value each section with a view to choosing an area where you feel most inspired. The learning journey of any chef will vary considerably from one individual to the next, however, it in order to progress to a senior chef role, you need to learn the basics and gain experience, both of which you will achieve with this Apprenticeship.
Knowledge & Understanding
- Understanding Culinary Issues – menus, technology, storage, ingredients, food preparation and equipment
- Food Safety – hygiene, food safety, storage and food safety legislation
- Understanding People – personal & team performance, communication, training & development, professional behaviours & culture and teamwork
- Understanding Business – costings, supply chains and risk in the working environment
- Employment within the industry
- 3 GCSEs grade 9-3
Your choices may include:
- Sous Chef
- Pastry Chef
- Chef de Partie
- Head Chef
- Development Chef