To teach across GCSE and Functional Skills Maths from entry level to level 2. You will also work on developing higher mathematical skills for students undertaking T levels.
As part of the Taking Teaching Further Scheme, we are interested to hear from maths graduates who are looking to pursue a teaching career within Further Education.
This post is subject to a probationary period of 6 months, upon successful completion of which will become permanent.
A full DBS Certificate via the Disclosure and Barring Service will be required for this post.
This job description is a guide to the duties you will be expected to perform immediately on your appointment. These may change in the future in line with the strategic direction and development of the College:
- To teach on GCSE and Functional Skills Mathematics and other mathematical courses to a range of learners including 14-16 year olds, 16-18 and 19+;
- To teach on and develop higher maths skills as part of T levels provision
- To develop and design appropriate learning materials for a variety of learners,
- To act as a Programme Leader for GCSE/ Functional Skills within the Department and provide support and guidance to students and staff, as necessary;
- To prepare, mark, assess and record students work as necessary to meet quality assurance
and self-assessment requirements within deadlines;
- To implement appropriate college quality assurance procedures and carry out relevant
recording and administrative tasks to meet deadlines;
- To meet quality standards with particular reference to retention and achievement and be responsible for monitoring and reporting on continuous performance and improvement within the provision;
- To seek ideas, consult with colleagues and introduce innovative ways to embed the
accurate and consistent use of English and Mathematics’ skills within planned learning and classroom environment as appropriate;
- To ensure maximum engagement by your students resulting in English and Maths
achievement rates of at least the national average;
- To promote links with employers & external bodies and liaise effectively as required;
- To participate in curriculum development and promotional aspects of the curriculum and School such as open evenings and parent evenings;
- To attend relevant Department /college team meetings in line with college requirements;
- To function as an effective team member within the Department and across the college, as appropriate;
- To measure the success, retention, achievement and recruitment of your learners by different equality strands and put in place action plans to address any underperformance;
- To ensure that interaction with learners is inclusive, fosters good relations between different groups of people, pays attention to specific needs identified through assessment, and being mindful of cultural or gender differences;
- To work closely with parents, guardians and outside support agencies in agreeing strategies that overcome barriers to participation or learning progression;
- To participate in the College’s Performance Review scheme and undertake professional
updating/staff development as required to meet the needs of the Department and College;
- To be fully conversant with the college’s equality and diversity aims and objectives; and take appropriate positive action in the promotion and delivery of equality & diversity targets:
- To be fully conversant with and implement the college’s range of safeguarding policies and procedures, to ensure the health, safety and welfare of all students and staff;
- To follow and implement Our College Behaviors
- Any other duties commensurate with grade and status as may reasonably be requested.
The person we are hoping to appoint will meet all the following essential requirements and some or all of the desirable requirements.
- Degree or equivalent professional qualification in Mathematics or a related subject area
- Current teaching qualification to Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training/PGCE/Cert Ed (or be willing to work towards as part of the Taking Teaching Further Scheme as
- Qualified to Level 2 (GCSE Grade A*-C or equivalent) in English and maths;
- Recent relevant experience of teaching Mathematics to a high standard in the FE or secondary school sector (this is not required if you qualify for the Taking Teaching Further
- Good administrative skills with the ability to maintain accurate and relevant records in line
with quality procedures;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and organisational skills;
- Interest and understanding of current educational initiatives;
- Ability to work flexibly and on own initiative to meet the needs of the college;
- Ability to motivate staff and work effectively as a team member;
- Ability to achieve consistently high standards under pressure;
- Willingness and ability to liaise effectively with external bodies and agencies;
- Willing to undertake professional development linked to the needs of the college;
- Computer literate;
- Driving licence and access to an appropriately insured vehicle.
- Experience of being a programme leader;
- Experience of teaching on GCSE, Level 3 and Functional Skills programmes;
- Ability to apply ILT techniques within teaching;
- Knowledge of current initiatives in FE/HE spheres;
- Sound knowledge of quality issues in FE and HE;
- Experience in standardisation of functional skills;
- Assessor Award or willingness to work towards.