Joinery Skills – Improving
If the Status is available, select below by ticking the left hand box and then click the Proceed button.
* Fee remission may be available for this course, visit Fees and Funding for further information
Have you completed our joinery introduction course and would like to enhance your skills? Look no further!
The course covers the correct use of tools, gives students the chance to learn and improve their skills, to create basic joints and methods, suitable for various tasks.
On this practical course, you will study the following aspects:
- Health & Safety requirements related to this course
- The importance of accurately measuring, marking out and cutting timber
- How to correctly use woodworking hand tools to produce joints
- Create joints and finishes that could be used in the production of various joinery items
Whilst on this course you will be accurately assessed on your ability by supportive tutors, you will be encouraged to develop and work at your own skill level and progress at your own pace. Depending on your ability and skills developed, you will be given the opportunity to manufacture small joinery items that can then be taken home.
You will be given the opportunity, within your skill ability, to complete larger projects of your own design. (please discuss with your tutor at the start of the course to ensure it is feasible for this to be done)
This course is suitable for people who have some basic knowledge and experience.
You are required to wear a pair of boots/shoes suitable for use in a workshop.
Part-time courses are term-time only.
See our term dates for further information.
Did you know that some of our courses are free if you earn less than £20,319 (£21,255 if you live in West Yorkshire, difference in qualifying earning amounts is due to local authority funding regulations).