Horticulture – Practical Horticulture Skills Level 1 Certificate
If the Enrolment Status is 'available for enrolment', select below by ticking the left hand box and then click the Enrol button.
Would you like to learn how to garden like a professional?
Learn how to transform outdoor spaces and grow edible crops whilst gaining a qualification for a career in horticulture.
This course will empower you with knowledge and skills, enabling you to develop and achieve a good understanding of what it takes to be a professional gardener. The course is focused on the basics of gardening and will include the following topics:
- Understanding your soil and ways to improve it.
- Identifying weeds – removal techniques and learning ways to control them
- Identifying soil type – ways to improve your soil structure
- Soil improvers – what are they and do we need them?
- Plants – gain knowledge of seasonal annuals and perennials to grow at home and understanding timings for harvesting your crops.
- Pests and diseases – identification and control methods
- Planning the garden – working with nature to create harmony
- Seasonal timings for ground preparation – Understanding single and double digging techniques and no-dig methods of growing
- Seed sowing indoors and out and techniques for transplanting seedlings
- Propagation techniques – making more plants
- Composting – turning waste into green compost
You will need to bring a packed lunch and suitable outdoor clothing e.g. a hat to protect from sun or cold, a pair of gardening gloves and sturdy footwear.
Part-time courses are term time only. See our term dates for further information.
Did you know that some of our courses are free if you earn less than £18,525 (£21,255 if you live in West Yorkshire, difference in qualifying earning amounts is due to local authority funding regulations). Call 01756 693 309 for further information.