We are looking to recruit a Science professional to teach a range of biology and/or chemistry units on Science related FE and HE programmes in Allied Health and Science and to act as Programme Leader, as required for specific programmes. You may also teach science related units on other programmes across other departments and be involved in the preparation of materials for T Levels.
For an informal discussion please email Danielle Fox firstname.lastname@example.org
This post is subject to a probationary period of 6 months, upon successful completion of which will become permanent.
A full DBS Certificate via the Disclosure and Barring Service will be required for this post.
This post requires a teaching qualification at Level 5 or above, or to start a level 5 qualification within twelve months of commencing the post, and successfully completing within two years of starting the qualification.
This job description is a guide to the duties you will be expected to perform immediately on your appointment. These may change in the future in line with the strategic direction and development of the College:
- To teach a range of units and biology/chemistry subjects in Applied and General Science (FE to HE, levels 1 - 4), within the Department and other departments to a range of learners, including 14-16 year olds and 19+;
- To develop and design appropriate learning materials for a variety of learners, both currently and in preparation for T levels;
- To act as a Programme Leader within the Department and provide support and guidance to students and staff, as necessary;
- To prepare, mark, assess and record students work as necessary to meet quality assurance and self-assessment requirements within deadlines;
- To implement appropriate college quality assurance procedures and carry out relevant recording and administrative tasks to meet deadlines;
- To meet quality standards with particular reference to retention and achievement and be responsible for monitoring and reporting on continuous performance and improvement within the provision;
- To seek ideas, consult with colleagues and introduce innovative ways to embed the accurate and consistent use of English and Mathematics’ skills within planned learning and classroom environment as appropriate;
- To ensure maximum engagement by your students in English and Maths, resulting in English and Maths success rates of at least the national average for 16/17;
- To promote links with employers & external bodies and liaise effectively as required;
- To support the Industry Placement team in securing high quality and curriculum-relevant placements for the 2024 roll-out of T levels in Science;
- To participate in curriculum development and promotional aspects of the curriculum and School such s open evenings and parent evenings;
- To attend relevant Department /college team meetings in line with college requirements;
- To function as an effective team member within the Department and across the college, as appropriate;
- To measure the success, retention, achievement and recruitment of your learners by different equality strands and put in place action plans to address any underperformance;
- To ensure that interaction with learners is inclusive, fosters good relations between different groups of people, pays attention to specific needs identified through assessment, and being mindful of cultural or gender differences;
- To work closely with parents, guardians and outside support agencies in agreeing strategies that overcome barriers to participation or learning progression;
- To participate in the College’s Performance Review scheme and undertake professional updating/staff development as required to meet the needs of the Department and College;
- To be fully conversant with the college’s equality and diversity aims and objectives; and take appropriate positive action in the promotion and delivery of equality & diversity targets:
- To be fully conversant with and implement the college’s range of safeguarding policies and procedures, to ensure the health, safety and welfare of all students and staff;
- To follow and implement Our College Behaviours
- Any other duties commensurate with grade and status as may reasonably be requested.
The person we are hoping to appoint will meet all the following essential requirements and some or all of the desirable requirements.
- Degree or equivalent professional qualification in a relevant subject area
- Industry experience in the Science sector, for example in a pharmaceutical setting or a laboratory environment;
- Current teaching qualification to Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training/PGCE/Cert Ed (or be willing to work towards);
- Qualified to Level 2 (GCSE Grade A*-C or equivalent) in English and maths;
- Recent relevant experience of teaching to a high standard in the FE and/or HE sector;
- Good administrative skills with the ability to maintain accurate and relevant records in line with quality procedures;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and organisational skills;
- Interest and understanding of current educational initiatives;
- Ability to work flexibly and on own initiative to meet the needs of the college;
- Ability to motivate staff and work effectively as a team member;
- Ability to achieve consistently high standards under pressure;
- Willingness and ability to liaise effectively with external bodies and agencies;
- Willing to undertake professional development linked to the needs of the college;
- Computer literate;
- Driving licence and access to an appropriately insured vehicle.
- Experience of being a programme tutor;
- Experience of BTEC programmes;
- Experience of Access to HE delivery;
- Experience of GCSE delivery;
- Understanding of the T level ideology;
- Experience of delivering courses in teaching support in schools;
- Ability to apply ILT techniques within teaching;
- Knowledge of current initiatives in FE/HE spheres;
- Sound knowledge of quality issues in FE and HE;
- Experience of IV;
- Assessor Awards.
Our behaviours are not meant to be exhaustive but serve to illustrate and bring to life the range of aspects that contribute to being an effective Craven colleague. We need everyone to bring them to life.
WORK TOGETHER TO OFFER ALL LEARNERS AND CUSTOMERS EXCELLENT OUTCOMES, BUILD STRONG WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Connected - Work well with others
- Innovative - Creative and solutions-focussed, work inventively, generate new ideas
- Responsible - Takes ownership, completes work well and on time
ABLE AND WILLING TO EVOLVE, ACHIEVE POTENTIAL, ADAPT TO CHANGING ENVIRONMENTS
- Curious - Inquisitive and interested
- Optimistic - Have a positive outlook
- Progressive - Determined to succeed
CAPABLE OF WITHSTANDING ADVERSITY AND ABLE TO TRANSCEND DIFFICULTY THROUGH CAPABILITY AND COMPETENCE
- Adaptable – Flexible
- Enthusiastic - Can do attitude
- Pragmatic - Sensible and realistic
HONEST AND OPEN IN ALL TRANSACTIONS AND RELATIONSHIPS, SELF AWARE, POSITIVE AND HELPFUL
- Positive mindset - Committed and determined
- Respectful - Inclusive and kind
- Socially intelligent - Self-aware and employable