Working in close liaison with the Head of Faculty, teaching staff and Progress Coach team to contribute to the planning and delivery of key aspects of the Personal Development Plan and support for students. Set high standards and expectations for the programme to support and achieve outstanding provision to further advance students’ personal development, behaviour and attitudes to each other, learning and work. To deliver 1:1 reviews and group sessions in line with College tutorial programme.
Required to work across all college sites, in line with the needs of the students. Some unsocial hours may be required to include occasional evenings and weekends as required, e.g. to assist at parents’ evenings and College open day events.
A full Enhanced Disclosure via the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) will be required.
If you have not heard from us within 28 days of the closing date on this occasion you have not been shortlisted. However please feel free to apply for futures roles as appropriate
This job description is a guide to the duties you will be expected to perform immediately on your appointment. These may change in the future in line with the strategic direction and development of the College.
- To provide Progress Coaching for an identified caseload of students linked to curriculum areas, which may be across different Faculties.
- To support the monitoring of attendance and punctuality (including tutorial and English and maths) and implement strategies to improve attendance and punctuality, liaising with mentors where student attendance is poor;
- To deliver the tutorial framework as part of the Personal Development Plan in weekly 1:1 and classroom based group sessions to develop personal, employability and social skills and to monitor and support student performance and progression;
- To contribute to the planning and delivery of careers and progression information, advice and guidance for individuals and groups;
- To contribute to the planning and delivery of a wide and varied enrichment and learner voice programme through workshops and activities to support student health and wellbeing, employability, personal and social development including equality and diversity, United Values, resilience, emotional and mental wellbeing, financial capability, digital literacy, safeguarding and Prevent and health and wellbeing.
- To be responsible for maintaining accurate records and tracking of students’ progress and achievement on Pro-monitor working with students to set SMART targets throughout the student’s study programme through the progress review cycle;
- To utilise monitoring systems to provide interventions for students who are not making appropriate progress towards their targets with agreed actions and details of support referrals and measures put in place;
- To develop and implement a range of strategies and interventions to address any areas of development around pastoral support;
- To collaborate with the curriculum team, providing and receiving data and feedback regarding student progress, jointly sharing any concerns to identify learners who are at risk;
- To bring to the attention of the Head of Faculty any achievement gaps between different groups, implement action plans for addressing achievement gaps and refer to other sources as appropriate;
- To implement positive behaviour strategies to maintain high standards of positive attitudes and behaviours;
- To ensure maximum engagement of students in English and Maths, resulting in English and Maths success rates of at least the national average;
- To ensure that students maintain individual logs, i.e. work experience, e-learning and cross college tutorials attended;
- Maintain contact with parents, carers and other agencies;
- To collate students’ reports, contributing to the feedback, sending written reports to parents;
- To work in close conjunction with the Student Support Services team in the provision and access to relevant support, regularly reviewing progress in and setting appropriate targets towards students increasing their ability to study independently;
- To advise students on the completion of further and higher education and employment applications and support students with referencing and personal statements;
- To accurately complete documentation and associated written records in a clear, concise manner; to maintain student documentation, data and records, including Student Contract; Early Leaver forms; individuals’ Risk Assessments; Confirmation of Study Programme Sheets; Student Destination forms.
- To assist in the enrolment of students according to entry criteria in the chosen subject area and English and maths and support in the delivery of diagnostic assessments;
- To assist with the delivery of student inductions, ensuring students fully understand the College Code of Conduct, attendance standards and reporting procedures;
- To ensure students complete relevant surveys and, in liaison with relevant Heads of Faculty, respond to Student Voice.
- To support students through their work experience or industry placement, and ensure that students log work experience or industry placement hours and evaluate their experience;
- To support student recruitment through attendance at careers events, open evenings/days, exhibitions and shows;
- To ensure accurate records are maintained of: attendance; target setting in subject areas; progress to date; behaviour; retention; targets and achievement in English and maths, support requirements;
- To be responsible for administering level 1 Verbal Warnings to students, where appropriate, and maintaining relevant Disciplinary records;
- To discuss informal complaints with relevant Heads of Faculty;
- Be responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults at all times in line with the College’s own Safeguarding Policy and practices and that issues/disclosures that are a reason for concern are correctly and expediently referred;
- To attend and participate in Faculty and Subject Sector meetings, where required;
- You will be expected to be fully conversant with and implement the College’s range of equality and diversity and safeguarding policies and procedures, to ensure the health, safety and welfare of all learners and staff;
- To participate in the College’s Appraisal scheme and undergo further professional development to extend skills and abilities in line with the needs of the College;
- To ensure that interaction with students is inclusive, paying attention to specific needs identified by the tutor and through assessment, being mindful of protected characteristics;
- Any other duties commensurate with grade and status as may reasonably be requested.
Our behaviours are not meant to be exhaustive but serve to illustrate and bring to life the range of aspects that contribute to being an effective Craven colleague. We need everyone to bring them to life.
WORK TOGETHER TO OFFER ALL LEARNERS AND CUSTOMERS EXCELLENT OUTCOMES, BUILD STRONG WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Connected - Work well with others
- Innovative - Creative and solutions-focussed, work inventively, generate new ideas
- Responsible - Takes ownership, completes work well and on time
ABLE AND WILLING TO EVOLVE, ACHIEVE POTENTIAL, ADAPT TO CHANGING ENVIRONMENTS
- Curious - Inquisitive and interested
- Optimistic - Have a positive outlook
- Progressive - Determined to succeed
CAPABLE OF WITHSTANDING ADVERSITY AND ABLE TO TRANSCEND DIFFICULTY THROUGH CAPABILITY AND COMPETENCE
- Adaptable – Flexible
- Enthusiastic - Can do attitude
- Pragmatic - Sensible and realistic
HONEST AND OPEN IN ALL TRANSACTIONS AND RELATIONSHIPS, SELF AWARE, POSITIVE AND HELPFUL
- Positive mindset - Committed and determined
- Respectful - Inclusive and kind
- Socially intelligent - Self-aware and employable
The person we are hoping to appoint will meet all the following essential requirements and some or all of the desirable requirements.
- Previous experience of delivering personal development or curriculum activities with young people
- Experience of innovation, enthusiasm, flexibility and commitment to helping students to fully access and engage with their learning programme, positively progress and succeed
- Good understanding of the issues around student support and safeguarding
- Experience of working to challenging targets and be able to work in a changeable environment where personal performance can be measured and successful teamwork is essential
- Ability to converse and communicate confidently in a range of situations
- Experience of working with personal information in a confidential and sensitive manner
- Experience of working with Health and Safety Regulations/Risk Assessment
- Competent to use a range of computer systems and software including spreadsheets and databases with the ability to analyse data
- Ability to relate well to and develop a good rapport with individual or groups from a diverse background, age range and levels of ability
- Ability to act with integrity, sensitivity, care and diplomacy
- Understanding of the fundamentals of learning and development and barriers to learning
- Enthusiasm for education and learning
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including active listening, questioning techniques and ability to inspire and challenge students
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to organise and prioritise work ensuring timely management of own workload
- Ability to work on own initiative and to a consistently high standard under pressure to pre-determined deadlines
- Excellent administrative skills with the ability to produce management information, reports and statistics and monitoring targets
- Qualified to at least Level 3 (A level equivalent)
- Qualified to Level 2 (GCSE Grade A*-C or equivalent) in English and maths (or willing to work towards completion within a specified time frame);
- Ascentis Level 3 Certificate in Personal Tutoring, or willing to work towards
- Ability to travel between College sites
- Higher Education qualification (level 4 or above);
- Knowledge of Learning Difficulties and Disabilities and how this can impact on learning
- A good understanding of current education standards and systems;
- An understanding of Further Education programmes and Progression routes