To teach across GCSE and Functional Skills in Maths inclusive small and supportive college setting with 80% of students having High Needs with an EHCP.
For an informal discussion please email Bev Skaife firstname.lastname@example.org
This post requires a teaching qualification at Level 5 or above, or to start a level 5 qualification within twelve months of commencing the post, and successfully completing within two years of starting the qualification.
A full enhanced disclosure check via the Disclosure & Barring Service will be required for this post
Fixed Term until 31 July 2024, extension dependent on student numbers
This job description is a guide to the duties you will be expected to perform immediately on your appointment. These may change in the future in line with the strategic direction and development of the College.
- To teach on GCSE and Functional Skills in Maths to a range of learners including 16-18 and 16-25 High Needs Students with an EHCP and 19+;
- To develop and design appropriate learning materials for a variety of learners,
- To produce innovative Schemes of Work and sessions that incorporate the hobbies, interests, and aspirational careers of all learners.
- To liaise with all curriculum leads in order to ensure holistic study programme pathways for all students.
- To provide differentiation for personalised learning gleaned from EHCPs, Annual Reviews, and ILPs for every student.
- To act as a Programme Leader for Functional Skills within the Department and provide support and guidance to students and staff, as necessary;
- To prepare, mark, assess and record students work as necessary to meet quality assurance and self-assessment requirements within deadlines;
- To prepare SMART targets and Feedback daily within ILPs and as part of a six weekly review process for every student.
- To implement appropriate college quality assurance procedures and carry out relevant recording and administrative tasks to meet deadlines;
- To meet quality standards with particular reference to retention and achievement and be responsible for monitoring and reporting on continuous performance and improvement within the provision;
- To seek ideas, consult with colleagues and introduce innovative ways to embed the accurate and consistent use of English and Mathematics' skills within planned learning and classroom environment as appropriate;
- To ensure maximum engagement by your students resulting in English and Maths achievement rates of at least the national average;
- To collate and identify evidence for Exam Access Arrangements;
- To promote links with employers & external bodies and liaise effectively as required;
- To participate in curriculum development and promotional aspects of the curriculum and School such as open evenings and parent evenings;
- To attend relevant Department /college team meetings in line with college requirements;
- To function as an effective team member within the Department and across the college, as appropriate;
- To measure the success, retention, achievement and recruitment of your learners by different equality strands and put in place action plans to address any underperformance;
- To ensure that interaction with learners is inclusive, fosters good relations between different groups of people, pays attention to specific needs identified through assessment, and being mindful of cultural or gender differences;
- To work closely with parents, guardians and outside support agencies in agreeing strategies that overcome barriers to participation or learning progression;
- To participate in the College's Performance Review scheme and undertake professional updating/staff development as required to meet the needs of the Department and College;
- To be fully conversant with the college's equality and diversity aims and objectives; and take appropriate positive action in the promotion and delivery of equality & diversity targets:
- To be fully conversant with and implement the college's range of safeguarding policies and procedures, to ensure the health, safety and welfare of all students and staff;
The person we are hoping to appoint will meet all the following essential requirements and some or all of the desirable requirements.
- Degree or equivalent professional qualification in Maths or a related subject area
- Current teaching qualification to Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training/ PGCE/Cert Ed (or be willing to work towards);
- Qualified to Level 2 (GCSE Grade A*-C or equivalent) in English and Maths;
- Recent relevant experience of teaching Maths to a high standard in the FE or school sector;
- Good administrative skills with the ability to maintain accurate and relevant records in line with quality procedures;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and organisational skills;
- Interest and understanding of current educational initiatives;
- Ability to work flexibly and on own initiative to meet the needs of the college;
- Ability to motivate staff and work effectively as a team member;
- Ability to achieve consistently high standards under pressure;
- Willingness and ability to liaise effectively with external bodies and agencies;
- Willing to undertake professional development linked to the needs of the college;
- Computer literate;
- Driving licence and access to an appropriately insured vehicle.
- Experience of being a programme leader;
- Experience of teaching on GCSE and Functional Skills programmes;
- Ability to apply ILT techniques within teaching;
- Knowledge of current initiatives in FE/HE spheres;
- Sound knowledge of quality issues in FE and HE;
- Experience in standardisation of functional skills;
- Assessor Award or willingness to work towards.
Our behaviours are not meant to be exhaustive but serve to illustrate and bring to life the range of aspects that contribute to being an effective Craven colleague. We need everyone to bring them to life.
WORK TOGETHER TO OFFER ALL LEARNERS AND CUSTOMERS EXCELLENT OUTCOMES, BUILD STRONG WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Connected - Work well with others
- Innovative - Creative and solutions-focussed, work inventively, generate new ideas
- Responsible - Takes ownership, completes work well and on time
ABLE AND WILLING TO EVOLVE, ACHIEVE POTENTIAL, ADAPT TO CHANGING ENVIRONMENTS
- Curious - Inquisitive and interested
- Optimistic - Have a positive outlook
- Progressive - Determined to succeed
CAPABLE OF WITHSTANDING ADVERSITY AND ABLE TO TRANSCEND DIFFICULTY THROUGH CAPABILITY AND COMPETENCE
- Adaptable – Flexible
- Enthusiastic - Can do attitude
- Pragmatic - Sensible and realistic
HONEST AND OPEN IN ALL TRANSACTIONS AND RELATIONSHIPS, SELF AWARE, POSITIVE AND HELPFUL
- Positive mindset - Committed and determined
- Respectful - Inclusive and kind
- Socially intelligent - Self-aware and employable