To deliver a defined range of units/modules to meet curriculum requirements and quality assurance procedures.
Payment for contact hours only which includes all key duties
and responsibilities outlined in the job description. Contact is
defined as marking/feedback via email and the number of
contact hours are allocated per learner, per course or unit.
A full enhanced disclosure check will be required via the
Disclosure and Barring Service for this post.
This job description is a guide to the duties you will be expected to perform immediately on your appointment. These may change in the future in line with the strategic direction and development of the College.
- To mark initial assessment, induct and liaise with Distance Learning Horticulture students.
- To be responsible for marking and monitoring students’ progress throughout the programmes of study;
- To keep in regular contact with Distance Learning students to encourage them to complete assignments to mutually agreed deadlines
- To develop and improve appropriate teaching and learning materials to support curriculum delivery of distance learning programme;
- To develop and carry out appropriate assessment of students’ work, in accordance with college and awarding body standards and be involved in internal verification and/or moderation if required;
- To keep abreast of new developments in the field and evaluate new approaches to curriculum delivery;
- To carry out administrative and recording tasks relating to your course(s) in line with Quality Assurance procedures, self-assessment, and awarding body requirements and to maintain necessary records and documentation;
- To be proactive in raising standards on the courses taught in relation to retention and achievement rates;
- To liaise effectively with management and staff within the Department/School and cross college;
- To attend team meetings and staff development as requested by the Adult Learning Team Leader and to be an effective team member;
- To participate in the College’s appraisal scheme in line with College Policy;
- To undertake and record continuing professional development (CPD) in line with College policy and legal requirements (with effect from 1st September 2007, 30 hours per year on a pro rata basis);
- To be responsible for updating the subject specialism;
- You will be expected to be fully conversant with and implement the College’s range of equality and diversity and safe guarding policies and procedures, to ensure the health, safety and welfare of all learners and staff;
- Any other duties commensurate with grade and status as may reasonably be requested.
Our behaviours are not meant to be exhaustive but serve to illustrate and bring to life the range of aspects that contribute to being an effective Craven colleague. We need everyone to bring them to life.
WORK TOGETHER TO OFFER ALL LEARNERS AND CUSTOMERS EXCELLENT OUTCOMES, BUILD STRONG WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Connected - Work well with others
- Innovative - Creative and solutions-focussed, work inventively, generate new ideas
- Responsible - Takes ownership, completes work well and on time
ABLE AND WILLING TO EVOLVE, ACHIEVE POTENTIAL, ADAPT TO CHANGING ENVIRONMENTS
- Curious - Inquisitive and interested
- Optimistic - Have a positive outlook
- Progressive - Determined to succeed
CAPABLE OF WITHSTANDING ADVERSITY AND ABLE TO TRANSCEND DIFFICULTY THROUGH CAPABILITY AND COMPETENCE
- Adaptable – Flexible
- Enthusiastic - Can do attitude
- Pragmatic - Sensible and realistic
HONEST AND OPEN IN ALL TRANSACTIONS AND RELATIONSHIPS, SELF AWARE, POSITIVE AND HELPFUL
- Positive mindset - Committed and determined
- Respectful - Inclusive and kind
- Socially intelligent - Self-aware and employable
The person we are hoping to appoint will meet all the following essential requirements and some or all of the desirable requirements.
- Minimum of Level 3 or equivalent professional qualification in Horticulture or a relevant subject area;
- Professional horticulture experience
- Current teaching qualification minimum to Level 3 in Education and Training (or working towards);
- Qualified to Level 2 (GCSE Grade A*-C or equivalent) in English and maths (or willing to work towards completion within a specified time frame);
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational skills and be able to work to tight deadlines with attention to detail.
- Good administrative skills with the ability to maintain accurate and relevant records in line with quality procedures; to communication professionally and with clarity via email and other electronic media.
- Computer literate - experience of MS Outlook and develop and maintain a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE);
- Ability to monitoring and adapting the syllabus to meet changing need including updating online distance learning materials as required. Engaged in innovative continuous development of the package i.e. developing Moodle, developing new learning tools etc.
- Ability to motivate students and work effectively as a team member;
- Interest and understanding of current educational initiatives;
- Ability to work flexibly and on own initiative to meet the needs of the College;
- Ability to achieve consistently high standards under pressure;
- Willing to undertake professional development linked to the needs of the College;
- Experience of distance learning courses;
- Experience of RHS programmes;
- Recent relevant experience of teaching to a high standard in the FE sector;
- Experience of delivering courses by distance learning;
- Knowledge of current initiatives in the subject area;
- Sound knowledge of quality issues in FE;