- To be responsible for the compliance and respect of the legal duty of care of all animals under animal health and welfare legislation; ensuring maintenance of high standards of health, welfare and hygiene at all times.
- To line manage technicians within animal management, including the development, support and coaching of these staff in order to provide an outstanding animal centre focusing on the curriculum and learning experience for students.
- To ensure the curriculum needs are met within the animal centre
- To be committed to all aspects of training and professional development related to the animal industry and curriculum.
This position is subject to a probationary period of 6 months, upon successful completion of which the position will become permanent.
A full enhanced Disclosure check will be required via the Disclosure and Barring Service for this post.
This job description is a guide to the duties you will be expected to perform immediately on your appointment. These may change in the future in line with the strategic direction and development of the College.
- Undertake responsibility for the day-to-day management of the Animal Management Centre, including management of breeding programmes, and ensure the collections maintain a suitable number and variety of animals for teaching purposes;
- Provide support and technical expertise to teachers, instructors and technicians where appropriate, to facilitate teaching and learning;
- Develop, monitor and maintain accurate relevant records of appropriate activities in relation to the successful, safe operation of the unit, in line with legal requirements;
- Ensure all facilities comply with relevant legislation and licensing, with particular regard to health and safety and safeguarding;
- In conjunction with the Head of Department, support the development of the facilities and the animal collections to provide innovative centres of learning and activities;
- Ensure that industry and welfare standards are exceeded throughout the area;
- To be responsible for the management of the Animal Technicians to ensure consistently high standards of animal husbandry, welfare, housekeeping and maintenance;
- Maintain animal accommodation and related equipment to appropriate levels and maintain high standards of animal health throughout the area;
- Ensure all relevant consumables required by the Animal Unit are regularly monitored and replenished;
- Implement and monitor an annual schedule of grounds maintenance for the Animal Units’ outdoor facilities;
- Keep up to date with industry standard equipment and protocol to enhance teaching and learning, and the welfare of the animals housed within the unit;
- To support the lecturing staff with student projects and any other research work undertaken by the Department;
- Manage, coordinate and direct animal centre technical staff’s schedules, ensuring sufficient cover of the facility. Organise schedules to ensure the centre is suitably staffed, taking into account staff holidays and sickness. Ensuring overtime and the use of casual staff is kept to a minimum and agreed in advance with the Head of Department.
- Manage, develop, and coach a group of staff and lead on animal centre meetings, staff training and personal development. This also includes the carrying out of Performance Development Reviews in conjunction with the Head of Department, absence monitoring, and continuous professional development of technicians.
- Manage, coordinate, supervise, and provide training, coaching and support for animal centre technical staff to follow standard operating procedures to carry out routine husbandry of animals. Routine husbandry includes: preparation and delivery of approved diets, cleaning, maintaining, and design/development of animal accommodation, and ensuring conditions are suitable in terms of health and safety, and welfare.
- Manage the facilities for effective participation in all College open days and events;
- Coordinate and organise promotional activities for the department. Be able to contribute to college marketing and open events which may occur during evenings and at weekends.
- Maintain and develop links with industrial contacts so as to promote the work of the Animal Management Department through partnerships and maximise opportunities;
- You will be expected to be fully conversant with the college’s range of equality and diversity, prevent and safeguarding policies and procedures, to ensure the health, safety and welfare of all learners and staff;
- To ensure that interaction with learners is inclusive, paying attention to specific needs identified by the tutor and through assessment, being mindful of cultural or gender differences.
- To participate in the College’s appraisal scheme and undertake further professional development in line with the needs of the College;
- Any other duties commensurate with grade and status as may reasonably be requested.
Our behaviours are not meant to be exhaustive but serve to illustrate and bring to life the range of aspects that contribute to being an effective Craven colleague. We need everyone to bring them to life.
WORK TOGETHER TO OFFER ALL LEARNERS AND CUSTOMERS EXCELLENT OUTCOMES, BUILD STRONG WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Connected - Work well with others
- Innovative - Creative and solutions-focussed, work inventively, generate new ideas
- Responsible - Takes ownership, completes work well and on time
ABLE AND WILLING TO EVOLVE, ACHIEVE POTENTIAL, ADAPT TO CHANGING ENVIRONMENTS
- Curious - Inquisitive and interested
- Optimistic - Have a positive outlook
- Progressive - Determined to succeed
CAPABLE OF WITHSTANDING ADVERSITY AND ABLE TO TRANSCEND DIFFICULTY THROUGH CAPABILITY AND COMPETENCE
- Adaptable – Flexible
- Enthusiastic - Can do attitude
- Pragmatic - Sensible and realistic
HONEST AND OPEN IN ALL TRANSACTIONS AND RELATIONSHIPS, SELF AWARE, POSITIVE AND HELPFUL
- Positive mindset - Committed and determined
- Respectful - Inclusive and kind
- Socially intelligent - Self-aware and employable
The person we are hoping to appoint will meet all the following essential requirements and some or all of the desirable requirements.
- Broad practical experience in a range of animal-based activities
- Experience leading a team and budget management
- Level 3 Animal Management related qualification
- A sound knowledge and understanding of animal husbandry and welfare across a broad range of species
- Knowledge and experience of Animal management curriculum
- Up to date knowledge of industry practice
- Understanding of equality, diversity and inclusion in an educational context
- Driving Licence
- Level 5 Animal Management related qualification
- Experience driving tractors and trailers
- Health and Safety qualification
- Knowledge of the Further Education and Higher Education sectors