School Leavers Enrolment - Art
Art courses start W/C 02 September 2019.
You will be required to have equipment checked and undertake some practical initial assessments during the first week.
- Apron or large old shirt to protect your clothes during workshop times (add a name tag)
- Variety of drawing pencils – HB, 2B, 4B and 6B
- Plastic (hard) rubber
- Charcoal (Compressed charcoal and willow charcoal)
- Craft Knife & Cutting Mat
- Hair Spray (fixing artwork)
- Brushes (synthetic ones for acrylic are fine, large size 10, 12) and some thick house-hold brushes.
- Palette Knives (plastic OK)
- Acrylic paints – primary colours and black and white (students tend to use more white so you may need twice as much)
- 30cm metal ruler, Pencil sharpener, A4 ring binder, Writing pad paper, Glue sticks, Masking tape
- Watercolour tin
- A USB stick (at least 32GB)
- External hard drive
- SD photo card (at least 32GB)
- A3 Sketchbook and A5 plain drawing pad for each project
- A3/A2 Plastic Portfolio
- A1 or A2 portfolio (optional)
Some essential items, such as sketchbooks etc. you may be available purchase from us. Please enquire at enrolment.
During some specialist blocks, you may be asked to purchase more specialist materials such as small amounts of silver for jewellery or specialist materials for fashion and textiles.
Here are some suggested books which you may find interesting in supporting your research and understanding of art movements and aesthetics.
- Ernst Gombrich ‘The Story of Art’
- Deyan Sudjic ‘The Language of Things’
- John Berger ‘Ways of Seeing’
- Matthew Collings ‘This is Modern Art’