School Leavers' Enrolment - Art, Design & FashionEnrol Online
Art courses start W/C 06 September 2021.
Induction will take place from Tuesday 31 August (please note Monday 30 August is a bank holiday.)
Apron or large old shirt to protect your clothes during workshop times (add a name tag)
Here are some suggested books which you may find interesting in supporting your research and understanding of art movements and aesthetics.
- Ernst Gombrich ‘The Story of Art’
- Deyan Sudjic ‘The Language of Things’
- John Berger ‘Ways of Seeing’
- Matthew Collings ‘This is Modern Art’
Equipment will be checked and expect to undertake some practical initial assessments during the first week.
- Variety of drawing pencils – HB, 2B, 4B and 6B
- Plastic (hard) rubber
- Charcoal (Compressed charcoal and willow charcoal)
- Craft Knife & Cutting Mat
- Hair Spray (fixing artwork)
- Brushes (synthetic ones for acrylic are fine, some fine: size 1-5 and some large size 10, 12) also some thick house-hold brushes.
- Palette Knives (plastic OK)
- Acrylic paints – primary colours and black and white (students tend to use more white so you may need twice as much)
- 30cm metal ruler, Pencil sharpener, A4 ring binder, Writing pad paper, PVA white glue, glue sticks
- String, scrap paper, magazines, etc
- Masking tape
- Watercolour tin
- A USB stick or SD card (at least 64GB)
- External hard drive
- A3 Sketchbook and A5 plain drawing pad for each project
- A3/A2 Plastic Portfolio (to carry work in)
- Tracing paper
- Cartridge paper
- Canvases: (on cardboard are cheaper)
Equipment for Textiles
- Sewing and tapestry needles
- Dressmakers pins
- Sewing threads cotton or poly-cotton
- Embroidery and fabric scissors
- Tape measure
- Collect swatches of cotton fabric or old pillowcases, or other leftover fabric.
- Set square and protractor
Equipment for 3D Design
- A pack of Fine card for scoring
- Thin white and black card
- A range of coloured card
- Wire – 1 mm binding wire or steel wire or thin florets wire would do)
- Small flat and round pliers
Equipment for Graphics & Photography
- Digital Camera or Mobile Phone camera
- Video editing access: on computer: Adobe Premier, Imovie, Lightworks, or smart phone: imovie, Quik, Filmorago
During some specialist blocks, you may be asked to purchase more specialist materials such as small amounts of silver for jewellery or specialist materials for fashion and textiles.