16-18 year olds
The 16-18 bursary fund for schools, colleges and training providers is designed to support those young people who face the greatest barrier to continue in education or training.
What is the Bursary Scheme and how can I apply?
The Bursary Scheme is made up of two parts:
A £1,200 guaranteed bursary per year is payable to young people on eligible learning programmes who are: In care or care leavers, in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit payment in their own name or in receipt of Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments.
If you do not qualify for the guaranteed bursary you may be able to apply for some funds to support things like travel, materials/equipment or other course related costs.
What Travel Assistance is available?
Craven College students may be eligible for a Travel Bursary. This means you may not have to pay more than £1 per day to get to College.
Terms and conditions apply https://www.craven-college.ac.uk/support/travel-support/
Bursaries for books & equipment
Dependant on household income (less than £21,000 per year) you may be eligible for some help with essential kit and equipment.
What support is there for Child Care costs?
If you are under 20 when you begin your studies and use registered child care you may be able to get assistance with child care costs from Care to Learn.
They can be contacted on 0800 121 8989.
We encourage all students entitled to a free meal to take up their entitlement. You may qualify for free meals if one of the following criteria is applicable to you:
• Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
• Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
• Child Tax Credit with an annual income not exceeding £16,190 and you are not claiming Working Tax Credit
• Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
• Children who receive Income Support or Job seekers Allowance (income based) in their own right
• Asylum seekers receiving support provided under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• You are aged between 16 and 18 on 31 August 2018. Students who turn 19 during their study programme will remain eligible for a free meal until the end of the academic year in which they turn 19 or to the end of their study programme, whichever is sooner
• You are aged between 19 and 25 are subject to an Education Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan)
19+ Financial Support
Students aged 19+
• If your income is less than £31,000 you will be eligible for the College’s Travel Bursary
• If your household income is less than £21,000 you may be eligible for some help with kit and equipment
Child Care for students aged 20+
If you are aged 20+ help towards the cost of your child care will be based on income and attendance.
If I think I may qualify for financial support, what should I do?
You will be able to apply for the bursary once you are enrolled at Craven College, and for 2018 we are launching an online bursary application form.