Looking for a career change? Already in horticulture and looking to progress in your career? RHS courses are internationally recognised for the highest standards, and now, thanks to distance learning, you can do all of this from the comfort of your own home!
Our state of the art online classroom allows you to view the course materials on a variety of devices, from your laptop to your iPad, tablet or even your phone. From here you can download our expertly written course materials, participate in quizzes to test your knowledge, watch videos, discover additional materials to expand your knowledge, upload your assignments and communicate with your course tutor. You will have unlimited support from your online tutor, for the duration of the course.
You will be using our online virtual learning environment, working through the resource materials and submitting assessments which will be marked and returned to you with feedback and feed-forward from your tutor.
The qualification is achieved by sitting eight-unit exams, which can be spread out as required, all exams take place in February and June at Craven College, Skipton, or at an approved RHS exam centre of your choice. The exam fees are not included in the price of the course, details can be found on the RHS website.
The full course is the most economical method of achieving the qualification. The course is based across eight units:
Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development (Theory) Level 2 (4 units) comprising:
- Plant Classification & Structure/Plant Physiological Processes
- Soil – Physical Properties/Soil – Organic Matter
- Maintaining Plant Health
- Understanding Plant Propagation
Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance (Theory) Level 2 (4 units) comprising:
- Garden Features & Planning/Plant Selection & Planning
- Plant Choice, Establishment & Maintenance
- The Production of Outdoor Vegetables/The Production of Top & Soft Fruit
- Understanding Protected Environments & Horticultural uses
- Good command of the English language is preferable, as the assessments and exams are written
- Basic IT skills and access to a computer and/or laptop with internet access are required. Access to the online classroom is available on PC and IOS and Android operating systems
Completion of Level 1 is not necessary, most learners can begin at Level 2.
Your choices may include:
- Work in a plant nursery, growing, selling and the management of plants
- Maintain gardens and planting
- Grow and sell house plants or plants in containers
- Become a gardener at your local parks and gardens business
- Start your own business
- Progress into garden design
Your choices may include:
RHS Level 3