Want to work outdoors as a Ranger, Wildlife Conservation Officer, Woodland Manager, Gamekeeper or Agricultural Contractor? This course will allow you to develop the specific technical and professional skills that you will need to start your career in the land and wildlife industry or progress to university.
Based on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, our rural College campus will give you access to sheep, dairy and arable farms, estates, national parks and leisure facilities through our extensive and well-established employer links.
Our excellent facilities include animal care units, equine yards, horticulture greenhouses, ATV’s, drystone walling centre and machinery workshops.
You will explore a wide range of industry areas including countryside management, environmental conservation, game and fisheries.
Our expert tutors have specialist knowledge of agricultural botany, ecology and garden design alongside experience of working with the National Trust, the Yorkshire Dales National Park, Skipton in Bloom and Harrogate Flower Show. With their knowledge and contacts, you will be able to visit relevant exhibitions and demonstration grounds as well as gaining inspiration from guest speakers from a variety of agriculture, countryside and environmental sectors.
In addition to work placements, your programme of study may include additional qualifications in Chainsaw and Brushwood Cutter Usage, Dry Stone Walling and ATV Handling.
- Level 3 – 5 GCSEs 9-4 or Land & Wildlife Level 2 (Merit/Distinction) including English or maths & science GCSEs 9-4
- Level 2 – 4 GCSEs 9-3 or Level 1 Diploma including English & maths GCSEs 9-2
- Level 1 – 3 GCSEs 9-1 including English & maths
What you will study
- Assist with the Use of the Transport & Maintenance of Tools & Equipment
- Introduction to Production Livestock & Breeds
- Assist with Maintaining Health & Well Being of Large Animals
- Carry out Tractor Operations
- Assist with the Establishment & Maintenance of Plants & Sites in the Countryside
- Safe & Effective Working Practices in Land-based Industries
- Preparing to Work in Land-based Industries
- Introduction to Wildlife & Conservation
- Introduction to the Forestry & Arboriculture Sector
- Environment & Conservation
- Tree Classification & Identification
- Introduction to Plant Science
- Tree Establishment
- Tree & Woodland Management
- Tools & Equipment
- Health & Safety for the Land-based Industries
- Land-based Industries Machinery Operations
- Plant & Soil Science
- Undertake Estate Skills
- Principles of Tree Felling & Chainsaw Use
- Identification, Planting, Establishment & Aftercare & Arboriculture
- Principles & Identification of Pests, Diseases & Disorders of Trees
- Urban & Community Forestry Projects
- Principles of Tree Science
- Principles of Health & Safety
- Principles of Physical & Biological Environmental Processes
- Woodland Habitat Management
- Ecological Concepts & Application
- Environmental Interpretation in the Land-based Sector
- Fresh Water & Wetland Management
- Undertake a Specialist Project in the Land-based Sector